Authors

My photo
My collages can be viewed here: http://jungleclubhouse.tumblr.com/ and sounds can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/buoyhood

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

And There's more!

I don't feel right posting what I just did without some real content to follow it.

So lately I've been feeling pretty weird about what I usually listen to. For the last 5 months or so I've been listening a lot of guitar driven stuff but now I'm kind of shying away. These past couple of weeks I've been digging further into jazz (more than I have been) and hoping onto the instrumental beat / dubstep train.
  
Alright Seriously People!
Why was I sleeping on Flying Lotus for so long! Granted I knew the dude has a lot of underground success right now but I was taken aback when I checked this baby out again. Yeah I copped it when it first came out last year, but I gave it a spin like once and never really thought about it again. Was going through my library to delete the junk a little ways back and I just had a blast with this LP. For those who don't know, Flying Lotus is the nephew of the late great John Coltrane....yeah that Coltrane. He's pretty much established himself as King Supreme of the L.A beat maker scene and owns the record label Brainfeeder which hosts a multitude of up and coming experimental artists. But enough Bio, this LP is the "Kind of Blue" of this generation no lie.
Cosmogramma was pretty much a catharsis for Lotus at the time with dealing with his aunt's, Alice Coltrane, death. He said he wanted to embody the traditions and environment he was brought up on while mixing with the current influences in his life. He wasn't joking either, as that is exactly what this LP sounds like. Crazy glitched out beats and grimy bass mixed with smooth jazzy samples and soulful rhythms. Words can't describe how much I adore this album. All I can say is you need to experience this for yourself preferably alone one night...for real.
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma (2010)